Eating a lot of cake is definitely unhealthy but everyone is entitled to a few cheat days. While I was craving some cake this week, I thought of making it a healthy bite. I never thought that adding lots of dates and figs to the cake would turn into a bomb bite. Here give it a try:
Serves: Depends on who eats how much ;) Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Almond powder – 10-12 almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease the baking pan.
- Combine butter and sugar and beat it well. Add the eggs and make a smooth batter.
- Add the flour and further beat it preferably with an electric beater.
- Ass chopped dates, figs, walnuts and almond powder to the mixture and stir it well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
PS: I baked it in a circular baking pan and made triangles. You can do whatever you want. Converting them into bite-size pieces that can be eaten with a toothpick is also a good idea.
Also, those chocolate dipped strawberries were so yummy. Melt some Godiva chocolate and dip the strawberries – Heavenly delicious.