Have you had days like “Omg that food looks so yummy” only to find out its meat and something you done eat. A colleague recently got some Sushi at my workplace and as I ogled it from the corner of my eyes he said I can have it.
“Well I am a vegetarian” was my answer
“well you can still have it” He said!!
It’s watermelon and not meat!! I was like “whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!”
This watermelon Sushi also called Sashimi is to die for.
Serves 2-4 Cooking time: 20 min (watermelon baking takes 2 hours)
- 1/4 seedless watermelon, cut into 2 x 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- sesame seeds – 2tbsp
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup cooked sticky rice
- Green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Zucchini – 2
- Avocado – 1
- Carrots – 2
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the watermelon pieces into a baking dish, and drizzle with the olive oil, sesame seeds, and soy sauce. Turn to coat the pieces in the dressing.
- Bake for about 2 hours, until the watermelon has cooked down and browned along the edges. The texture will resemble that of raw fish at this point.
- Remove the watermelon from the oven, and let it cool.
- Take a sheet of Sushi Nori and lay it flat (I used a sushi making kit) place some rice on it.
- Top each rice roll with a piece of the watermelon.
- Add sliced zucchini, avocado, and carrot to it and make a roll
Garnish with chopped green onions, and serve with wasabi sauce.
ps: you get wasabi paste to make the sauce out of.