This summer jam is so tangy and spicy and almost perfect for anyone’s taste buds. Use it anyway you like, whether on bread or on the top of a salad; simply yummilicious.
Makes: a bottle
Time: 30 minutes
- 3 pounds best quality tomatoes, cored and chopped – I prefer organic
- 2 cups granulated sugar – Use 1 and a half cup if you don’t like it very sweet
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
Combine tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt, cinnamon, and cumin in a large, heavy-bottomed pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer until the mixture reaches a thick, jam like consistency, about two and a half hours. Stir in the pectin (if using) and simmer for one minute more.