This pasta sauce is very unique as it has two kinds of sauces mixed in it – tomatoes and saffron. Ditali pasta are the tube-like pasta, perfect for holding the tangy sauces.
Cooking time - 1/2 hour Serves - 2
- Ditali Pasta – 1/2 lb
- Yellow tomatoes (you can use red too) – 4
- Garlic cloves – 3
- Blood Orange – 1
- Fennel bulb – 1
- Onion – 1 big
- Parsley or Coriander leaves – 1 bunch
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Pecorino Cheese – grated 1/2 cup
- red peppers – 1/2 tbsp
- Saffron – 1/2 tbsp
- cut all the fresh produce and pre-heat the oven to 450 F. Add the pasta to a pot of boiling water and let is soften up. cut tomatoes in a bowl and smash it with your hands. dice the orange. chop the parsley
- Place the chopped fennel bulb in a baking tray and spray it with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes until soft. Remove from oven and set aside
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. Follow with garlic and saffron powder. Season with red pepper and cook it stirring it continuously for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 12-15 minutes until it thickens up and forms a gravy like structure.
- Add the pasta and butter to the sauce and 1/2 cup water (the same used for boiling pasta)
- cook till you achieve the desired consistency.
- top the pasta with cubed oranges, roasted fennel, and chopped parsley.
- Garnish with cheese.